View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hypatia

Originally Posted by michelle01 View Post
One teacher I spoke to last year spent an hour or so telling me all kinds of things and at the end I felt angry - it was as if she thought I didn't even know my own nephew and his issues (they spoke to my mother this year in much the same way, without much respect or listening to her), and some things were just off base. She herself - the teacher last year - apparently came from a troubled background but instead of that helping it seemed that she was projecting a lot of her own issues onto him, which I didn't feel was appropriate.
Hmm.... grade school teaching and counselling are two very different professions, so I am not surprised that you didn't hit it off well.

A teacher at that level of schooling will define the problem to be solved, tell the student what to do and how to do it. And even judge the work.

A counsellor will ask questions and help you define your own problems. Then by listening and posing questions, with occasional comments, the counsellor will help you work out your own action plan, so that you choose what to do and how to do it. And you award your own marks at the end. For older children and teens the counselling is not all that different.

You and your parents sound very committed and active. The boy is very lucky to have you all at this time in his life. He may not realise it for many years, but you are doing a great job!