View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SSHope

Contact or No Contact

I would like to hear the experience of other members who have chosen to continue contact or chose no contact with their addicted loved one. My brother is in rehab currently (28 day program) and I hope he is serious about recovery. If he relapses, which is a strong possibility, I have to decide if I will continue contact. I have never loaned him money, nor has he asked (my parents have supported him financially for years), but I do have a middle school age daughter. I am afraid that if I have no contact he will not feel supported to ever attempt recovery again and will turn back to his druggie friends. However, I don't want my daughter to think that this it is okay to be an addict. Do I have contact individually without allowing my daughter to have contact? I do know that my husband will have no contact with him if he is not in recovery.

And before anyone says it....I know that I should not try to predict the future and assume he will relapse. However, I am someone who likes to process my choices, and while I know many factors may come into play, I would like to at least have some sort of game plan or opinions to consider. Thanks!