View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
blueshades

Angry Drinking When You're Overwhelmed

I used to do this a lot. I would find myself angry and/or completely overwhelmed with my home life, my work life, etc. and I would find this bruning desire for a drink. Usually I would hop in the car and go to the closest place that I could find wine. On these days, I would make sure that I had enough to get thoroughly drunk.

One thing I've learned in the last 16 days is that there will always be times when we feel overwhelmed or out of control. I know that going for that drink isn't going to do one thing to help the underlying issue that precipitates that feeling. I will say that it's a challenge when these issues come up over and over again and they seemingly have no remedy but there it is: for me alcohol is a remedy for nothing. It's only a path to more stress, depression, and despair.

Obviously I'm not having the best day today. My sleep hasn't improved and my body still aches a lot more than I thought it would at this point in my sobriety. I have been eating well, exercising, and working on techniques to deal with stress, but it's becoming clear that I need to add something to my recovery plan.

However I got here, I am glad to have reached Day 16.