View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MemphisBlues

The first year no relationship thing is pretty hard to accomplish if you are in a relationship. And i'm not too sure it's really that great of an idea -- I mean, recovery is supposed to be our prime focus, but it's pretty hard to just climb in a hole and avoid the natural instinct to be part of a couple.

In my case, I was in no shape for a relationship. Along time ago my wife got sober, I didn't, and it ended in divorce.

The important thing here is what is important to you. Has at any time during your decision to attempt sobriety ever resulted in your "normal drinker" just saying, OK, I will do it with you to support you?

A normal drinker isn't going to understand someone who thinks they are an alcoholic. Newly sober, going to Vegas? That would be hard, and, in my opinion, unwise. They place is soaked in alcohol.

I saw no one had responded to you, so I wanted to give you a greeting and word of encouragement. I did get into a relationship with a normal person, not a normal drinker, during my first year of sobriety. She saw what a wreck I was, left, but now we are back together.

I wish you had some supportive people around you who could give you some face-to-face support. Is that possible?