View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MsAprilJ

Relationship Struggles

I have been with my boyfriend for a little over two years. In the beginning, we both enjoyed drinking together.... Aside from my moments of stupidity that we laughed off. Then, my moments, well... got stupider. Still, we worked through it. So here we are, two years later. I have admitted that I have a problem and I am working on it. However, my boyfriend is what you would call a "normal" drinker. So he really doesn't get it. He plays into my AV (addictive voice) a lot without even realizing it. I know deep down he WANTS me to be a "normal" drinker just as much as I do. So we are in a dilemna; we fight when I drink (most times) AND we fight when I want a drink and can't because I have made a commitment. I poured my heart out to him a couple of nights ago because he asked me what I really wanted. I tried to explain to him that I really believe and admit that I am an alcoholic, and while I want to be able to drink like him... I just can't. I explained to him that I am really going to give my all to stopping. I explained to him that may mean not going out to concerts, or parties, or dinners. And we may have to cancel our trip to Vegas. I explained that I know that this is what I need in order to move forward and grow in my life. I also told him that I was afraid of this decision causing us to grow apart. Well, tonight was a difficult night for me... My av was coming on strong but I fought back. I just needed some space to get through it. He was annoyed and said that this whole thing is depressing. We ended up getting into a spat and then he asked me what I need from him! I feel like he doesn't hear me, or maybe he is just in total denial of what is going on with me! ANYHOW, THE DIRTY DETAILS ARE IRRELEVENT... I AM JUST CURIOUS, has anyone else experienced this; Being in relationship with a "normal" drinker, then deciding to get sober? How did it effect your relationsip, did you survive it? I have also heard that people who are getting sober shouldn't be in a relationship for the first year! Thoughts PLEASE!