View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SlimSlim

Originally Posted by bounced View Post
Thanks, SlimSlim

I am not too sure if the "60 day" marker is what has done it (like it is fine working towards a milestone and great to celebrate it but then there is a deflated feeling a couple of days later).

Otherwise it is not having a long term view of myself as a "non drinker" so when I get to the point that I no longer have physical cravings then I revert to the "why am I doing this?" little voice.

Anyway, I am a very black and white person so "no alcohol" is a relatively easy option to follow. I start to have difficulties whenever I start thinking "well, maybe just some". There simply is no grey area for me. Then I start getting anxiety, stomach cramps, can't get the idea out of my head and I end up fighting with myself every few minutes about it. Eventually I get to the point where alcohol is going to make the feelings go away (and we all know where that leads).
Bounced:

Look at what you wrote highlighted in bold.

To me those statements are contradictory? You've got a conflict going on in your head. Seanie talked about AVRT...your addicted voice is the one who has planted the seed in your head with no long term view as a "non-drinker" and is whispering to you "Why am I doing this?"

Your rational voice, the one which thinks in black and white (which BTW, you need right now) says "no alcohol" is an easy option. Listen to that voice and shove the other one out of your head. Argue with it if you like, out loud if you have to...just make sure nobody else is around or the guys in white coats might come!!!

You've got a good head on your shoulders...learn to listen to yourself and be firm in your resolve.