Old 08-05-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
fourmaggie
I AM CANADIAN

hi...welcome and so glad you found us

my story is i am a widow with 2 kids, son is 11 and daughter is 10(end of August)...I am very honest with both my kids about addiction....ADDICTION does EFFECT everyone in the family...my children are very much aware of the family members and how "stupid silly" they can get with "adult drinks" in there hand...

my mother is an addict of CHOCOLATE...this is how i discribed to them about drugs and alcohol(adult drinks)....its a bad craving, its over powering, its a disease...

talk to them for which they would understand...dont hide it...SECRETS KEEP US SICK...as they get older, you can use the proper words..

yes children are smart, yes children do not filter on what they are saying...but as long as you are honest and keep the communication lines open about this...everything will be fine...(ps. if family members/friends question you...they need to mind their p's and q's, if they dont understand then KNOWLEDGE IS POWER)

12 step program for children, teens and adults are out there...AL ATEEN is so good for the kids... and AL ANON for you...

read and read some more...

i hope this helps
god bless