View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
tjp613

Originally Posted by treadingwater View Post
Our 23 yr old A/S is out of our house. Been to rehabs the same vicious cycle over and over again...done the suboxone and still continues to abuse, misuse his suboxone and who knows what else. He also has a drinking problem....
Long story short he and his roommate were robbed by 2 armed robbers at their apt. approx. 2 weeks ago, they live in the hood!! Neither wanted to stay there because of safety issues and I don't blame them. They broke the lease, but had to pay an outlandish penalty and proration!!!
So now my son has been staying at a weekly hotel...in the worst part of town, his roommate conveniently move in with his girlfriend.
Our son is not working and has a limited amount of money to live on. I had been holding on tightly to the little money he had and finally gave him all his $1,800. to him last week. Who know's how much he has left. He literally does not know how to manage money and I can bet he has been using it hmmm....drugs and alcohol.

Okay this is my delimma...He has no way of getting his valuables out of his apartment, his car is in our garage and has been for a year plus.
Heck his stuff may already be out on the front lawn of the apartment complex???
It is killing me to know that he has his approx. $900. keyboard/piano and other stuff in that apartment and he may AGAIN loose everything.
In the robbery the jerks stole everything they could carry...laptop, playstation, cell phone, wallet, etc... so he has already lost so much.

In the past he's lost his stuff to pawn shops or just lost it because he was probably high somewhere and forgot it. He always seems to be misplacing or loosing stuff....
He's got a lot of STUFF for someone who is 23 and has never had a job! But I guess he's got a trust of some sort that's been providing, eh?

I was recently faced with a similar dilemma and turned it over and over in my mind for a few days. I decided to 'rescue' the goods in question, but I'll be selling them and splitting the proceeds with my ex-husband (AS's dad) to cover just a fraction of the money we have lost/got conned out of with AS's lies and manipulations over these last couple of years. Being homeless, he didn't have the means to take care of or properly store the 'stuff' and I wasn't willing to store it. He had abandoned the goods and the house manager was kind enough to hold it until we decided what we wanted to do.

This is the life and consequences my son has chosen -- over and over again. It makes me incredibly sad...but it's his life. My son has also used detox and recovery as a means to get a roof over his head...5x this year alone. I think his intentions are good going in...but he doesn't want it bad enough to stay there and remain sober for life. I'm just done.

Bottom line (for me) is this: if the stuff is important to him, he will figure out a way to save it. If he has money for drugs and all that other stuff, he has money for storage. No way I'd put myself in danger to retrieve it either.