Old 07-25-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

I am going to take a different point of view here...given I have been a landlord in the past as well as been in a situation where I had to pay rent late, as well. First of all, if you are on the lease, I believe you have a financial obligation to your landlord, too. If its only in his name, well...then you can decide if you want to turn this one over to him and tell him to fix it.

My humble suggestion would be to talk to the landlord together. Go into this meeting with a payment plan that shows you intend to pay rent, just a little slow as you "get back on your feet" or whatever your reasoning is. Let your landlord know you have no intention of completely defaulting. Show your husband how to have a rational conversation while accepting your responsibilities. It may be a lesson he's needing to learn.

I much preferred accepting late rent to no rent at all, and if someone made a concerted effort to work with me, I was very reasonable about it all. Life happens, ya know?

But if you turn it over to him, and he asks his Mom for the $, you will have to be ok with that, too. If you make his problem to fix and he fixes it, it really leaves you no right to come back and judge him on how he chose to fix it...

Take what works and leave the rest...
~T