Old 07-24-2012, 10:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Andante

Hi, I've been "lurking" around SR for weeks (and finding it very helpful, I must say), but am motivated by this thread to post for the first time.

I just want to point out that it's dangerous to generalize about the withdrawal / post-acute withdrawal process because it can vary quite significantly from person to person. One reason is that for many people, it can get much worse the more times you sober up and relapse.

The first time I tried to quit 7 years ago, I had no withdrawal symptoms at all. By 3 or 4 years ago, they were at about the level which seems to be the "median" of what I've read -- day 3 or 4 was worst.

Fast forward to today: I'm 63 days sober, and I've had only the briefest of respites from debilitating brain fog, memory lapses, coordination impairment (you should see me trying to type this), and unrelenting insomnia. I'm loving being sober, but at times I get frustrated to the point of despair with how slowly my functionality is returning.

The moral of my story is (other than a warning not to generalize about what someone "should" expect): once you decide to quit drinking, try like heck to get it right the first time!