Old 07-24-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DisplacedGRITS
Crazy Cat Lady

i had to have medication for my insomnia. i'm at 4.5 months and i simply will not sleep. i can stay awake for days. with my medication (nothing like Ambien...i was hooked on that stuff and abused the mess out of it. i'm lucky i didn't kill myself on it. i used to Ambien surf.)

my fog lifted pretty thoroughly by the fourth week or so. where i am now i feel amazing. i just started a new job and am able to remember almost everything i'm being taught. i'm learning almost through osmosis it seems. i feel like i'm making up for all those years that i was unable to do anything. i'm absorbing everything they give me and coming back for more, more, more! the longer i'm sober, the clearer i am mentally. i'm better able to read people around me and respond appropriately to social situations which is amazing. that all started happening around the first month. it's like a snowball. once it gets rolling it keeps rolling and getting even better.

motivation took a while longer. it took me well into my second month for me to really start feeling motivated to get my life moving forward again. actually, it probably took around my third month before i started getting restless to get moving forward. by then, my sobriety was feeling pretty solid and i started feeling the pull of everyday life calling to me. but it was important to take those three months for me and my sobriety. it's ok to not feel motivated to get out and go. take that time to solidly plant and care for the seed of sobriety you have. it's small and tender and it needs so much care. work on it and devote yourself to it. by the time you're ready to start on life again, your sobriety should be strong enough to support you through that decision. just make sure you take time growing it.