Old 07-20-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cyranoak

This was the mother of all relapses for her...

...I'm impressed. She hit the tifecta!
  • She lost, literally misplaced, a 4,000 pound car.
  • She lost her iPhone
  • She lost her wallet

Now, here's where it gets better... she was missing without a trace for 24 hours. No calls, no evidence of being alive, and 24 hours later shows up at my mother's house with a homeless person.

This really happened. Un-*******-believable. In the past, before Alanon and Sober Recovery, here's what I would have done:
  • Worried More, a lot more.
  • Not gone to work.
  • Driven around looking for her car, called all the tow lots, called the Police and report her car stolen.
  • Cancelled her phone, bought her a new phone.
  • Called and cancelled her credit cards, give her money.
  • Picked her up at my mom's house, brought her home, cleaned her up, and given her a long lecture about being selfish and inconsiderate.
  • Not gone on the trip I had planned for this weekend and then used it as a weapon against her later.

This time, despite her 18 months of uninterrupted sobriety, I had a plan and I stuck to it. Here's what I did:
  • I picked her up at my Mom's.

And, frankly, had she been anywhere else but my Mom's I wouldn't even had done that.

Also, I told her that when I return from my trip we would talk about what happened and decide how we are going to proceed (and if we are going to proceed), but that I would not discuss it in the meantime.

That's it.

I'm so excited that, for once, I was prepared with a plan, stuck with the plan, and did not protect her from the consequences of her actions and decisions. More than anything I'm proud I didn't lecture or censure. For me, as many of you know, that's a major, major accomplishment.

My thanks to the creators of Alanon and Recovery!!!

Take care folks,

Cyranoak