View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DisplacedGRITS
Crazy Cat Lady

171 days is quite an accomplishment. remember, alcohol is a fact of life in the real world. i went to a 4th of July party where everyone but me, my husband and one other were drinking beer and mixed drinks. later in the night even a little weed came out which isn't my thing but in the past i probably would have taken a couple of hits "just for fun."

now, i bring one or two of my own drinks to keep myself entertained and as a reminder that i have options. it's perfectly fine to socialize without alcohol. just because you attend a get together with alcohol doesn't mean you're expected to drink. it's not like it's a wine tasting party or a bar crawl. know what you're getting into and make decisions accordingly. i turned down my husband's company's picnic because i knew the only thing there that was geared towards adults was food and alcohol and to be honest, the food isn't worth going for.

go and enjoy the company. you won't have been going for the wine in the first place so don't let that be what keeps you from enjoying yourself. don't let other people's drinking alienate you. you aren't bad or different. you're like a vegetarian going out to dinner with friends. you just make different choices in what you consume and that's fine. it's your lifestyle choice and it's a good one. believe in yourself and believe in your sobriety. you have 171 days. take what you've learned and apply it to the real world. part of that is knowing your limits so if you find that your sobriety is going to be pushed beyond it's limits have an excuse ready to excuse yourself early if you need to. part of taking care of yourself is allowing yourself to enjoy the real world but not at the risk of your sobriety. believe in yourself but be realistic. good luck. you can do it!