View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
chrisepic

"Intervention"

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
Welcome, Chris!

Do you mind sharing a bit of your story and how you felt about the intervention process?

Best to you.
The "intervention" was for my father

I've been struggling with alcohol for 13 years but the first 10 of those years were during a long period of recovery for my father who had actually stopped using crack-cocain and alcohol in 1992 when I was twelve.

The last three years however seemed to be exacerbated by my father's relapse after 18 years of sobriety. I had even started using with him. I knew I needed help and was in the chronic stages of alcoholism. I knew my father needed help too. I was also aware that my father was one of my biggest triggers so I figured if he got help it may help me too. (talk about co-dependency).

Now in these past 3 years my father went to treatment twice. I figured he had just given up on everything because he was still using. Being the ham that he is, and running out of options as a family, I contacted the television show "Intervention" and shared my father's story and my story in the context of my father's struggle with addiction. The show was endeared and they contacted me immediately. They asked me if I was seeking help and I told them I would work things out but for the time being "please help my father."

They sent a camera crew out for a week and filmed him and interviewed me and several of my family members. While they were asking family about my father, unbeknownst to me they were also inquiring about my well being. During the pre-intervention I was offered a 90-day treatment program. I accepted, and the next day we staged my father's intervention and he accepted. So we were both whisked away to treatment. I went to Oregon and he went to Florida.

It was a tremendous experience. Today my father has a little over 30 days of sobriety and I have 101 days Now I just have to convince my wife that although I'm sober today, the removal of the character defects, the change in thinking, attitude, and behavior will come in time so long as I actively embrace recovery.

Thanks for letting me share.