Notices

Just Returned from "Charm School"

Old 07-17-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Returned from "Charm School"

Hi everyone! I just returned home to Colorado after a 90-day alcohol treatment program in Astoria, OR. My father and I will be featured on an up-and-coming episode of "Intervention" this Fall. It was an amazing experience but now back to "reality." What a daunting trip its been. The anxiety is through the roof! Everything must change.

Its good to be here. Thank you for my sobriety.

Chris
Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Charmschool. ha ha good one. Good thing you have your sense of humor. That's awesome. Wow! That is really something to go to the rehab. Good job! You rock! God bless your father for lending support. That really warms my heart up!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have anxiety issues too. Google urge surfing. It saved me. For real. Love. Sobriety rocks! Keep going dear. It does get easier.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey sorry I thought those judges with scorecards were saying 10's. They tricked me. You get 10's. All 10's. Yea for you!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Welcome, Chris!

Do you mind sharing a bit of your story and how you felt about the intervention process?

Best to you.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome chrisepic!

Congratulations on 90+ days of sobriety! It's a bit of a culture shock coming back I'm sure.... That's the way I felt, and I was only in rehab for 30 days. Be patient with yourself - it takes time to rebuild.

Are you serious about being on Intervention? I love that show..... the best part is the end, just seeing the difference in people once they get sober, the way they smile and the light in their eyes. That must have taken some guts to do that.....

Anyway, welcome - this is a great place.... lots of inspiration and support!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"Intervention"

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
Welcome, Chris!

Do you mind sharing a bit of your story and how you felt about the intervention process?

Best to you.
The "intervention" was for my father

I've been struggling with alcohol for 13 years but the first 10 of those years were during a long period of recovery for my father who had actually stopped using crack-cocain and alcohol in 1992 when I was twelve.

The last three years however seemed to be exacerbated by my father's relapse after 18 years of sobriety. I had even started using with him. I knew I needed help and was in the chronic stages of alcoholism. I knew my father needed help too. I was also aware that my father was one of my biggest triggers so I figured if he got help it may help me too. (talk about co-dependency).

Now in these past 3 years my father went to treatment twice. I figured he had just given up on everything because he was still using. Being the ham that he is, and running out of options as a family, I contacted the television show "Intervention" and shared my father's story and my story in the context of my father's struggle with addiction. The show was endeared and they contacted me immediately. They asked me if I was seeking help and I told them I would work things out but for the time being "please help my father."

They sent a camera crew out for a week and filmed him and interviewed me and several of my family members. While they were asking family about my father, unbeknownst to me they were also inquiring about my well being. During the pre-intervention I was offered a 90-day treatment program. I accepted, and the next day we staged my father's intervention and he accepted. So we were both whisked away to treatment. I went to Oregon and he went to Florida.

It was a tremendous experience. Today my father has a little over 30 days of sobriety and I have 101 days Now I just have to convince my wife that although I'm sober today, the removal of the character defects, the change in thinking, attitude, and behavior will come in time so long as I actively embrace recovery.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

What an experience! Welcome to SR! I've been to Partial Hospitalization a couple of times for a little over 30 days and IOP. AA finally helped me get sober and is helping me continue sobriety along with medication, therapy and SR. Posting and reading here has made me feel so much a part of a community of sobriety. Especially sharing with people who are just starting out, people with a few months (four and a half for me) and people with years. I'll be on the look out for you on Intervention. I watch the show. I watched it while i was drinking heavily thinking i would never be someone with even 90 days. Well, look at us now! Keep your focus in the real world. It's fraught with dangers but there are choices for sobriety everywhere you turn. You just have to be aware of them. ;-)
Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Awesome that both you and your dad decided to get sober. I am also a big fan of the show intervention. I've been watching it for years. I always wondered tho how the people on the show didn't figure out right away that they were on it or that something was up. Congrats on your 101 days!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoozeFree View Post
Welcome to SR! Awesome that both you and your dad decided to get sober. I am also a big fan of the show intervention. I've been watching it for years. I always wondered tho how the people on the show didn't figure out right away that they were on it or that something was up. Congrats on your 101 days!
My dad had never watched the show before. I told him "there were some people interested in filming a documentary on addiction and were interested in your story".

He had asked about a week before they came up if there was going to be some kind of intervention. He specifically said "what do I get out of it." I derailed him by saying "no its not an intervention, its your chance to share your story."
Old 07-18-2012, 01:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Congrats on your 101 days and congrats to your father too. What an awesome experience and I am glad that it helped the both of you.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you and your father. xxxx
Old 07-18-2012, 02:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

That's awesome Chris. You are sharing an amazing attitude, and I cannot say enough how much I would love to see you keep shining! Bless you for what you've helped to do for your dad, your family and your own life. I'm an alcoholic/addict too, and I've also been significantly affected by the alcoholism and addiction in some of the people closest to me. I should also say thank you for having the courage and the humility to share these things on the show. The first time I saw intervention was the first time I was given any reality check about alcoholism and addiction. I watched every episode I could find, still using the whole time. It took some more years for me to finally stop, but that show absolutely planted some important seeds in me. When I got clean/sober, I kept watching the shows over and over. They have really touched my heart and had a positive impact on my life. I've been clean/sober for some years now, and I am so very grateful for this entire journey. I wouldn't want to miss it for anything in the world. I'm rooting for you and sending all my best wishes as you continue to grow. Keep up the great work!
Old 07-18-2012, 02:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 07-18-2012, 02:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR chrisepic.

Congratulations on your sobertime.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow, that is amazing. I love that show and look forward to your episode.

Congratulations on your sobriety! And welcome!!!!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Wow! SR's own ChrisEpic! Now that is something! Looking forward to 'meeting you'.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Chris!