Old 07-15-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. I'm glad you are here, but saddened by what brought you here.

You are not alone. We are open 24/7, but a little quiet here on the weekends. There are Alanon meetings in Europe. Maybe you can find some face to face support while you are there.

When he was drinking, creating drama and stress; you knew what to expect. Now that he has sought treatment, this is unchartered territory. Are you uncomfortable about the unknown future?

Please take comfort in knowing that he is in the hands of professionals now. He will be taken care of. How about you? I hope you will start to take steps to take care of yourself now. Reaching out for support here is a good step, as well as reading self-improvement books. Codependent No More is within my arms reach too!

Another great book is "You Can Heal Your Life" by Louise Hay.

Keep doing the next right thing for you! You are worth the effort!

I want to address something you wrote in your introductory post. It pertains to his drinking habits. You mentioned that he began drinking heavily in his teens and then you mentioned a tragically abusive incident in his youth. Are you justifying his addiction? Is this why you include those two facts in one sentence. Does he justify his addiction with his tragic past?

The two facts have nothing to do with each other. As a 30 year old adult, he has made the choice to self-medicate with alcohol. There are much healthier ways to deal with childhood trauma. Hopefully, his treatment team will teach him healthier ways to deal with life on life's terms. It will be up to him to use the tools he learns once he leaves treatment.