View Single Post
Old 10-16-2004, 09:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
gelfling
Searching and tripping

As myselfagain said, if the cards are in both your names, you will be held responsible too. Unfortunately.

My niece had an instance where she was separated from her husband, but had not filed papers. During that time, he went out and bought a big rig costing almost $100,000. It was in his name only. She signed nothing.

They got back together, he lapsed on payments on the truck and it was repossessed. The mark isn't just against him but her because she was his wife...I never did understand that; also it has also affected her credit rating and ability to get low interest loans. This is a new one on me. But then, an attorney would be the one who could explain this.

I don't know if they do it anymore, but I've seen notices posted in the newspaper stating that such and such would no longer be held responsible for debts, etc. incurred by such and such. It has to be published so many days in the paper. This covers you in the event he goes wild with credit cards.

And then, you can close out the accounts and reopen in your name only. Our A son had one of our cards for emergency purposes while in college and was using it to treat his friends to dinner and buy booze, etc. WE closed it out and he found out when he went to pay for a big meal. He was really pissed, but we told him that he had taken advantage of it, so he no longer had the priviledge of using it and if there ever was an emergency, tough nuggies.

So, you've got lots of options with all the postings. The important thing is to get his name removed from anything that would drag you down financially.

Good luck, Kathy