View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Thumper

I can relate to a lot of what you post so I'm not trying to be confrontational - just pointing out the things that jumped out at me and how/why I experienced them.

If you even entertain the idea of baiting him with questions about the flowers you are very much still dancing with him. Distance does not equal detachment. It helps but it isn't the end of it.

You spoke of the vacation where he acted as if things were fine but was harboring unspoken resentments and that it is still bothering you. The thoughts that came to me when I read that were a) that is certainly dysfunctional and unhealthy but might not really be a character trait and b) maybe Liz is still bothered because she is having a hard time with her own current resentments and openly communicating that.

I was QUEEN of harboring resentments and not saying a word about it. I can relate.

I know the 'getting a girlfriend' comment was tongue in cheek but really - I had that thought a lot. That last year I would actually send out desperate wishes that he'd cheat on me or hit me. That is INSANE. I desperately wanted him to do something that would make a decision for me. You are not powerless. Your feelings and thoughts are valid regardless of what he does or does not do. Wishing that he would take an action that would relieve your stress is giving him all your power. I wanted my ah to leave me because that would have relieved me of all responsibility. I would not have to protect my own thoughts and feelings as worthy or valid. I did not know how to do that. I had built a cage around myself by giving up all my power. I could just open the door and walk out at any time though.

As a note - in hindsight I'm not sure the cheating or the abuse would have been the deal breaker I was thinking it would be. Certainly alcoholism, chronically underemployed or unemployed, financial irresponsibility, - all those things would have been considered deal breakers before I was married, yet I was living with them all and more.