View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

I also have to be careful about having too much free time. I have been reading on SR and posting today, while doing chores around the house. I have also been going to Al-Anon and AA meetings as much as possible this past week, plus therapy and acupuncture. I am doing my best to make sure I am around other people as much as possible, supportive people, not sick people.

I am sorry about your mom, I understand what you are talking about. I have not gone NC with my dad but I do not call him when he is drinking (which is usually always but sometimes he does white-knuckle it for a month or so and it is wonderful to get him back for those short periods). But for the most part, my dad never even acknowledges my existence. Though sometimes when he is sober for an hour or two, like when he first wakes up from having passed out one of his three times per day, he will call me out of the blue to say hi or give me some kind of weather- or house-related advice. There's a tiny sliver of the person still in there somewhere; I just have to take advantage of that when the clouds pass allowing the sun to shine through for brief moments here and there.