Old 06-28-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
tomsteve

Originally Posted by erutxet View Post
I've been in AA for three months and I ended up in the psychiatric ward after taking the third step of the program, which is to turn your life and your will over to a higher power as you understand him. I put my whole life into this step and I ended up feeling out of control, like I had no say in what happened to me. I felt pressure to be something I wasn't at the expense of my sobriety and that really messed me up. I'm picking up the pieces now. I've distanced myself from the AA program because I have a resentment toward it. I feel like I am a powerless, worthless piece of **** who needs God to recover, and I never wanted that. All I wanted was a way to stop drinking, not catholic guilt. I even started going to church again because I thought it would make my sobriety better, and then I felt guilty for not going to church enough and reading the bible everyday. I've never been a paticularly religious person and it angers me that AA forced me to search for my spiritual side as a way to deal with my problems with no alternative. It's still even hard to pull away from God at this point because I took the God aspect too seriously. I went in way too deep. I thought Jesus Christ was talking to me through AA and all this crap, it was horrible. I plan to go to AA again at some point but as a liberated atheist who appreciates all people's journey in sobriety, but understands that spirituality is not the only way.
i am sorry to see you have such a terrible misunderstanding of the program of AA and are blaming that on your situation. AA hasnt forced you to do anything. you did it willingly and were able to walk away at any time.

if you get a sponsor that knows the program, they can explain that there is no religious affiliation. it is not a religious program.

reading what you wrote, i have to say you didnt have a sponsor. the program doenst make a person fell guilty. hellm, thats how we were when we drank! it shows us how to get rid of it and how to live sober.