View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MrsKing

tiger1, I can understand how you feel. I have so, so many regrets that all come from drinking too much. I used to use alcohol to cover up my depression, too, but in the end alcohol made me more depressed, so I drank more, and so the circle continues. Regret is such a horrible thing to deal with. We can't change the past and we can only apologise so much. There are days when I can't stop going over in my mind the things I wish I hadn't done when I was drunk, the people I wish I hadn't hurt, and the way in which I lived my life in general. But there's nothing we can do, tiger1. We can only strive to stay sober and better the situation we are in, right now.

Sometimes I just try to tell myself "You are not your past. You are what you are right now," and it works, most of the time. As soon as those regrets start creeping into my thoughts, I try to put them to one side and tell myself that I've eradicated the main problem in my life and so I should be proud, not full of regret.

You deserve as much happiness/success as everyone else does. You've made mistakes - who hasn't? You've changed and have been sober EIGHT AND A HALF MONTHS! That is amazing! Fantastic! Remind yourself of all you have achieved, and remember that you're probably the only person dwelling on all those past mistakes... everyone else is probably just in awe of what you've overcome.

Hugs.