Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
HopefulGF65

Oh....wow. I first read this when I got back from lunch but couldn't reply right away because I could feel that so familiar feeling in my gut, almost like you're going to be sick from the knowledge, because of some new realization and it's shocking even though you didn't think you could be shocked any more than you have been. I needed this, needed the reality check that he's probably still using. His intentions are good, of that I have no doubt, he wants to get better, but he keeps making these poor choices and I sadly have a feeling you are right. I mean, he is SO believable when he tells his lies, so insistent that it sometimes has you questioning your own reality even though you know without a shadow of a doubt that it's a lie. I knew something was up when he first told me a couple of weeks ago the second of two boxes was empty - and he told me got so upset with the pharmacy he threw the box at them when they wouldn't refill it. That's how explosive he has gotten when he's desparate. I should've known.

And then, when he told the doctor after being questioned how his refill got used so quickly that he left them in the car and they melted, it was obviously one lie on top of another. I thought maybe because of his addictive personality he is getting addicted to the suboxone, but in his circle it's so prevalent (the overuse of pain meds - probably most starting from sports injuries - since that is our circle) that it's very likely the case (what you suggested).

When I confessed to a co-worker what was going on, he told me he got addicted. Now mind you, this guy is a straight arrow, really into sports, and severely injured his arm. He took them as needed but because his injury was so severe, I think he said his dose was strong or that he was taking them as soon as he was able. When he no longer needed them, he was shocked at the fact he experienced withdrawals. He didn't overuse, doesn't have a history, just the simple fact of needing them for an injury. I have a chronic back issue that bothers me even when walking through a supermarket and it sux beyond belief but I don't want to go on pain meds and have no idea how to get rid of this discomfort.

It just makes me angry that something so helpful (and legitimately needed)can turn lives around in such an ugly way. Awful....just awful.