Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RevivingOphelia
Still I rise.

I think part of the recognition of my drinking problem occurred when the obsessive thoughts about WHEN I can drink ruled my mind.

Why was I at work (teaching) and mentally calculating when the last time I drank was...was it ok to tonight? Should I ask someone out for after-work drinks? Should I drive to the wine store? Should I buy one or two? Should I go out and get more?

The insanity of how much the topic of my relationship to alcohol was in my mind was exhausting and terrifying.

From what I am reading on these forums and threads is that the mental obsession will ease up with continued sobriety. I am holding onto that b/c it is super tough in those early days.

I'm on day eight and that is the longest since December (24 days). I haven't gone a full month of not drinking since I started drinking many years ago (not that I tried). It just became so much a part of my life and, I think for some, it does develop into a progressive disease.

Anyway, wishing you luck with your cravings...know that many before you have been there before you and made it through.

Hot baths worked for me sometime as well as thinking about the effects of post-drinking hangover.

Best to you.