Notices

I'm so sick of drinking occupying my mind

Old 06-20-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm so sick of drinking occupying my mind

Well, it's been 12 hours or so since I drank. Went to a meeting yesterday and drank afterward. It's ridiculous. Today, I got on my knees and asked God to help me stay sober today. I need to ask for this second. They suggested I do that at the meeting. I'm scared to leave the house because I think I'll go to the liquor store. I could not go to a meeting today because I have my son. I should be saying that I cannot drink today because I have my son. I keep crying and want to get this house clean or just do something, but every thought it seems is about drinking. Not sure I'm going to make it today, but I know I will be so proud if I do not. I just want to get it out of my head.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome hotflash -

You're not alone - we've all been there and we understand what you're going through. It's miserable trying to fight the battle and deal with the cravings every day. It's a vicious cycle. Alcohol causes anxiety and depression, which makes us want to drink even more.

Lots of us have gotten out of that cycle and we're here to support you..... there really is life after alcohol!:ghug3
Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I think part of the recognition of my drinking problem occurred when the obsessive thoughts about WHEN I can drink ruled my mind.

Why was I at work (teaching) and mentally calculating when the last time I drank was...was it ok to tonight? Should I ask someone out for after-work drinks? Should I drive to the wine store? Should I buy one or two? Should I go out and get more?

The insanity of how much the topic of my relationship to alcohol was in my mind was exhausting and terrifying.

From what I am reading on these forums and threads is that the mental obsession will ease up with continued sobriety. I am holding onto that b/c it is super tough in those early days.

I'm on day eight and that is the longest since December (24 days). I haven't gone a full month of not drinking since I started drinking many years ago (not that I tried). It just became so much a part of my life and, I think for some, it does develop into a progressive disease.

Anyway, wishing you luck with your cravings...know that many before you have been there before you and made it through.

Hot baths worked for me sometime as well as thinking about the effects of post-drinking hangover.

Best to you.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Oh for sure, I had obsessive thoughts. By the time I stopped drinking, I think I spent most of my days and nights thinking about alcohol one way or another.

Know that the obsessive thoughts will decrease and eventually go away. But, they do put up a fight. Remember, they are only thoughts. They have no control of you.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi hotflash

I remember how hard the first few days can be - but you're not alone in this - there's a ton of support.

Things do get better - stay strong.....post and read as much as you need to

You can do this

D
Old 06-20-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering

HotFlash

I'll let those with more experience offer their advice, but I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

God bless you.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

im the same , i dont drink through the day but the main thing that occupies my mind is having a drink on the night. i have 2 children aged 9 and 2 and i have swore down to god that i will stop drinking which i couldnt do, and as i spend so much money on booze i cant afford much else so i promised to stop to save up to take the kids on holiday and i cant even manage that. it has made me such a selfish person and i feel a total disgrace. I seemd fine drinking one minute then out of the blue i suffered terribly with alcohol related issues which had me rushing straight to my doctor and am now awaiting detox. I feel dreadful at the moment im at rock bottom. the way im feeling at the moment feels like it is Gods punishment for my behaviour but i have faith that it maybe a way of God showing that it has come to the point where to sort me out he has got to be cruel to be kind and all this is hopefully a blessing in disguise. im not a religious person but at times like this i actually pray that there is a God who is helping.