View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Saskia

Originally Posted by 2magnolias View Post
Red flag alert! Flicked, I do a ton of reading about addiction and this is one of those things the experts say to WATCH OUT FOR...that it means you're not in "recovery" because you're replacing one thing addictive thing for another. Time to do some looking for additional resources in your community, AA, RR, therapy, go see a psychiatrist, something different.

That saying about expecting different results while doing the same thing over and over again is true!

Changing our lives and growing is a vital part of continued sobriety. I don't have the answers, but I do know that when I go to my doc she always asks me questions to figure out if I'm "white knuckling" till the next drink, or truly in recovery.
Hey 2mag, I largely agree with you; I find that even after so many years, I still "trade" addictions at some level. I've finally accepted that I will probably never be completely rid of that problem. Being raped several times at the age of 4 did a real and permanent number on my brain chemistry and as hard as I've worked on it, it may always have some effects. However, the other side of that is that I spent many years sober and so I don't feel my "life story" is as dismal as it can sound. I've functioned at a very high level (not unusual for trauma survivors) and learned how to make the most of what I have. Multiple serious health problems haven't helped but the human brain/soul/whatever is incredibly resilient. I am a fighter and that has been well worth it.

So I don't see swapping addictions in the same light as you do. I agree it means that it isn't "problem solved" but then we live in the real world (at least I try to). My gastric bypass surgery destabilized the truce I had internally worked out and now I need to find a new equilibrium that works for me. I know that part of that equilibrium will include sobriety and minimizing eating and other compulsive behaviors.

The results will never be perfect but the long struggle has definitely been worth it! That's why I keep on trying and am no longer self-destructive in a significant way (other than alcohol at this point in time!).

I suspect some of you may be put off by seeing me still struggling after years of sobriety -- it's hard to see my situation and probably not wonder if you're in for the same. To you, I can only say that life's a journey, not always pretty and not always easy. But it is ultimately satisfying even though I still have my down spells. I will be forever grateful that I pulled myself out of the bottle many years ago and view this as an unfortunate slip that I will also overcome. Trite as it sounds, time really can be a great healer. I no longer blame the rapist - I strongly suspect he was abused as a child based on things I've heard about him.

Life is so worth it when you almost lose it; I've come uncomfortably close a number of times from a variety of causes. I now don't intend to leave this life earlier than I need to.

So I'm back to Day 1 today!

Wishes for a peaceful day today for all.