View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chino

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
They may be addicting and gross, but not the same animal, IMO.
Addiction is addiction, as far as science is concerned. After that, the definitions change with the medical and behavioral health community. All the professionals I've spoken with consider me an addict, regardless of whether I'm actively abusing a substance or not. I accept my addictive personality.

Funny thing -- only a handful of recovering A's accept me as a fellow addict, since I haven't demonstrated and suffered the extreme behavioral consequences.

None of my fellow non narcotic, legal substance and behavioral abusers accept me as an addict either.

The former group seem to view me as minimizing addiction, and the latter seem to view me as exaggerating it.

I'm sticking with science and the rest of the medical and behavioral health community. They have facts to back it all up, not just personal opinions.

Originally Posted by lightseeker View Post
What in the world was he thinking....or not. I'd say it was a cry for help except we are long past that.
He was definitely thinking something, and I agree with you that it probably wasn't a cry for help. It's all so glorified by way too many. Look how long it took before cigarettes weren't glorified in the movies. And for crying out loud, getting drunk still is.

Being around our loved ones when they're under the influence is bad enough, but it's just awful that you saw it.