View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

Hello CactusJill, and pleased to "meet" you

One of the principles of AA that has helped me the most is that of "identification". Basically, I learn a lot more from peeps who have overcome the hardships I am currently dealing with. In some cases, a persons profession has a direct impact on their recovery. i.e.: A surgeon. Sometimes it's where they come from i.e.: A male prostitute. That's where the whole concept of "Special Purpose" meetings originated, and now we have "closed" meetings, "men's meetings", "young people meetings", etc.

As far as where to find a specific profession, the suggestions in this thread are good. Go to the neighborhoods where people in that profession live, or work.

Some professions prefer "private" meetings where they can talk about issues specific to recovery while holding a particular job. Here in Las Vegas we have meetings just for Physicians. You will see them at regular meets too, but they won't identify as docs. We have meets for recovering "entertainers", and for awhile there was a meet for recovering "trophy wives" but I don't know if it's still going. I once sponsored a cop, and a Navy seal. Yup, they have their own meets but they also go to open meets. I didn't know about their job until _after_ they asked me to sponsor them. I had to _earn_ their trust first.

Over in D.C. I know of a meet for Shrinks, I heard about it from two shrinks at an open meet.

In my experience, the best way to find out somebody's profession is, like others have said, by participating in activities outside the meets. Coffee, conventions, and so on. When people get to know _you_ they will feel more comfortable opening up.

Mike