View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

In NA I noticed that the professionals were much less likely to talk about their jobs or experience using than the rest of us. I think that many of them felt a sense of disconnect because they didn't have the street drug experience (or at least most didn't). So they identified with addiction etc, but there were some experiential issues that were not shared.

I also think that many professionals for a whole heap of reasons, tend to use therapy etc to get clean, because of any number of reasons they feel uncomfortable going to a meeting.

my ex husband is a professor/PhD, so I know a great many in academia..and the quiet drunken professor is a quirky stereotype that is unfortunately common and sort of romanticized.

We did have some vocal professionals in my HG and I really liked the mix and the perspective of people from all different walks of life and economic levels, education levels. It felt really good and synergistic that we all came together and related and helped one another grow.

I have heard that some cities have AA groups, or at least recovery groups specifically for professionals, but I am not sure how to find them. Maybe an addiction recovery clinic or therapist could steer you towards one.