Thread: Ready
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
john1967

Ready

Hello all:

After a month of throbbing liver pain and my eyes becoming more yellow by the day, I am ready to quit drinking. I just got off the phone with an old friend of mine -- at one time a raging alcoholic -- who quit drinking in March and when I asked him how he did it, he privately told me he went into 10-day detox and hasn't had a drop since. My problem is I don't have insurance and certainly couldn't afford it with my current resources. I've tried AA and NA in the past -- NA being for a one-time narcotic addiction that I swapped out for booze 5 years ago -- and found the meetings helpful only as long as I was there. They did nothing for me once I got back home. Sponsors didn't do it.
The "message" didn't do it. And the "one day at a time" concept seemed to add to the struggle more than help.

I am seriously afraid for my health. I haven't been a big fan of life in recent years (fiancee passed away from cancer & I recently ended my most recent relationship which has left me very depressed & semi-employment issues) but I know I don't want to die of cirrhosis.

I guess I'm just introducing myself. Looking for possible county-run detox programs in Los Angeles.

Thanks for your time.