Notices

Ready

Old 06-16-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready

Hello all:

After a month of throbbing liver pain and my eyes becoming more yellow by the day, I am ready to quit drinking. I just got off the phone with an old friend of mine -- at one time a raging alcoholic -- who quit drinking in March and when I asked him how he did it, he privately told me he went into 10-day detox and hasn't had a drop since. My problem is I don't have insurance and certainly couldn't afford it with my current resources. I've tried AA and NA in the past -- NA being for a one-time narcotic addiction that I swapped out for booze 5 years ago -- and found the meetings helpful only as long as I was there. They did nothing for me once I got back home. Sponsors didn't do it.
The "message" didn't do it. And the "one day at a time" concept seemed to add to the struggle more than help.

I am seriously afraid for my health. I haven't been a big fan of life in recent years (fiancee passed away from cancer & I recently ended my most recent relationship which has left me very depressed & semi-employment issues) but I know I don't want to die of cirrhosis.

I guess I'm just introducing myself. Looking for possible county-run detox programs in Los Angeles.

Thanks for your time.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR John x

Detox sounds like a good idea if you can get it. I'm in the UK so no idea how things like that work where you are.

Have you heard of AVRT before? That may be a huge help to you if AA wasn't working.

Sorry life has not been good to you...it sounds like getting sober will mean one less thing to worry about for you.

Glad you're here x
Old 06-16-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((john))) - Welcome to SR! I totally understand no insurance and lack of resources, but I do strongly encourage you to get checked out by a dr. and if go to an ER if you need to. Alcohol withdrawal can be very serious, even fatal.

SR is full of people who have been, or still are in, similar situations. I'm a recovering crack addict, but I've found a lot of ES&H from others who's DOC (Drug of choice, including alcohol).

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-16-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The Salvation ARmy has free de tox centers in most cities...
also offer various programs re entering the work force ...hhouseing
also. Please call them

Sorry to know your life has been bumpy...
Glad you are looking for sobreity.

Welcome to SR....
Old 06-16-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR john1967

I don't know of any detox places other than the Salvation Army. I do know that continued participation here at SR can help.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, john -

I'm sorry for what you're going through - I remember how helpless I felt when I made my first post. I'm glad you reached out today. Taking the first step is always the hardest.

I found a site for low-cost rehabs - and noticed there were some free ones, too:
California Drug & Alcohol Rehabs (Low Cost)
I sure would consider going to the ER, though, if you're having jaundice. We're here for you, so keep reading/posting.....:ghug3
Old 06-16-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome John1967

I'd definitely get the once over from a Dr - they may have local knowledge on what to do and where to go next too

D