Thread: Flying worries
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 03:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
regeneration

hey positivelady... i went away at about 55 days.. I'm now at 3 months.

It was okay. I did feel an air of general irritation at times. that's because I need to let go of things more/sort out other areas of life (which I'm doing).

There were no meetings where I was, and I couldn't get wireless to work for online meetings...

I just got it clear in my head I wouldn't drink, and also looked out for negative aspects of drinking while there. If you're meeting other people... you'll find plenty. My friend would say "ooh, I'm going to reward myself with a wine". And in my head I'd be thinking "for what? You've just walked up a volcano in one of the most beautiful countries in the world, that is a reward in itself". And others would say "ooh, it's beer o'clock" after we'd been touring on a ship looking at beautiful views. It stopped me romanticising drink as something enjoyable.

I'd make sure you either have printed materials or stuff on a laptop to look at as reminders. I read info on relapse triggers, symptoms etc. I also had the number of someone who I speak to on another board and he texted me.

I also reminded myself (and still do) of euphoric recall. Link here, look in the change of thinking section:

Levels of Relapse Warning Signs

I needed to write down my own version euphoric recall as mine is a slower descent than that but the reasons why I shouldn't drink are strong.

Anyway.. to sum-up.. have a plan in place. Read, bring stuff with you to read, have contacts, see if you can get to a meeting. And remind yourself you don't need drink to enjoy yourself, a lot of others are fooling themselves.