View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
desertsong
Choosing Life

It IS tough to avoid situations where alcohol is involved ... it is everywhere. I don't go to bars or parties, but it seems sometimes like no matter how I try to avoid it, it is still there. It's at the grocery/convenience store. It's on TV. It's in magazines. And it's right next to me, as my husband is an active alcoholic. I've just come to the realization that no matter where I go, it's always going to be there so the change has to come from within ME. That's why I go to AA, work the steps, meet with my sponsor, and read everything I can get my hands on pertaining to alcoholism/recovery. It helps ... a LOT.

It gets easier, I promise. For now, though, you're going to have to be especially vigilant. Bars are a big temptation ... if you can avoid them, do so. The other situations are harder to avoid, I realize. Where I live, alcohol is a part of everyday life for people - it's a party town and people are out buying beer at 7 a.m. If I were to avoid all of the situations/events here where alcohol is involved, I'd never leave the house. If you're honestly working on your sobriety and developing the tools to help you stay sober, these situations will get easier as time goes on. You did great this weekend - keep going! It can be done!