Old 06-07-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
I just wanted to say, I actually have ADHD, and I can relate to starting a bunch of "projects" and never finishing them. I have to work at it in order to be able to pace myself (one thing at a time) and make sure I follow through on things. LOL definitely not a fixer. Just thought I'd offer another perspective.
It's weird that I think there is a difference between ADHD and ADD, and that they don't use the ADD diagnosis anymore. I just had my son tested and he came back as ADHD-not otherwise specified. So, the doc said he had traits of ADHD but not all of them like the impulse control and hyperactivity. Mostly he's just inattentive and has processing problems and memory recall issues but I'm taking him to a neuropsychologist next week to find out more about those. I am totally ADD and space out, tune people out, have trouble reading a book all the way through, etc but I have absolutely no trouble finishing a task once I start it. AH starts projects and leaves them half finished or 1/4th finished.

I have told my son that I will do whatever it takes to help him work through his ADD stuff. I give him more time to complete things. I keep instructions short. I assign his readings to time chunks instead of to number of pages read, etc. All in all, I know I have a great kid but it's so hard to watch them struggle with the learning problems and ADD stuff. I have no idea how I got As and Bs in school because I swear I was always staring out the window, LOL!