View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SoaringSpirits

Originally Posted by chrissy81 View Post
My 59 year old mother developed a drinking problem about 6 years ago.

While AA is a good thing, it is not therapy, and she needs to get a handle on WHY she started drinking in the first place or she will not get better.
Originally Posted by chrissy81 View Post
While she may have the 'gene' (and medicine is unsure that it is just ONE gene, but possibly many genes that can work together), that might mean that I too have the gene, and you don't see me drinking to the point of destruction. I know when to stop and I am a very light drinker. It doesn't mean that I will ever develop alcoholism
Some alcoholics "develop" later in life. My 50-year-old (soon to be ex) husband did not begin drinking alcoholically until he was 42 years old. Who knows what all triggered it; all I know is he's a different guy now.

No one knows who will turn into an alcoholic and who won't, at what age, under what circumstances, and why. Look at your mom, who developed a drinking problem at 53. Was there ever a time when she was a light, social drinker who knew when to stop?

AA is most definitely about the "why" of why people turn to drink. Are you familiar with the 12 steps used by both AA and Al Anon?

As to your mom, you can't do much for her except focus on your own life and give her the dignity of living hers. You can only manage yourself. Best of luck to you.