View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
chrissy81

EnglishGarden, it's not quite that simple. The facts are that while genetics can play a role, they are not the only factor, and it is not always "inherited" (though the heritability for alcoholism is pretty high in families) - no one else in my family is an alcoholic. While she may have the 'gene' (and medicine is unsure that it is just ONE gene, but possibly many genes that can work together), that might mean that I too have the gene, and you don't see me drinking to the point of destruction. I know when to stop and I am a very light drinker. It doesn't mean that I will ever develop alcoholism, and I have had some pretty awful stuff happen in my life as well. But instead of drowning myself in booze, I go and seek friends' support, or go for a run, etc. With some disorders, they are not necessarily triggered until something specific happens, say personal trauma. Further, many psychological disorders can put someone at risk for comorbid substance abuse. This is why I think the drinking was triggered by the experiences - she was depressed for many years (and depression often leads to substance abuse), and that is when the drinking started. I'm not saying that there aren't both genetic and environmental factors involved, I think it's just a bit too generic to say "oh, she was "born" to be an alcoholic".