View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
desertsong
Choosing Life

Dee makes a great point ... the idea of sobriety is definitely a scary one, but the thought of where we are all headed if we DON'T get sober is much, much scarier. At least in sobriety, we have the potential to become/do great things. As active drunks, the only potential we have is for a variety of devastation and chaos, ultimately leading to death.

I had a bad day earlier this week, Weasel, and I totally get where you're coming from. I admit the thought of a drink crossed my mind ... but that's all it did. It crossed my mind and then it left. For me, that was huge progress.

Our self worth - or lack of it - is the reason a lot of us drank. But I think a whole lot more of myself now that I'm sober. When I was drinking, the despair was huge ... and so was the self-loathing. I may not totally love myself but I'm getting there. If I'd kept drinking I know I would have lost ALL sense of self.

As long as you don't drink, Weasel, you have the potential to develop self worth and self esteem. A sober alcoholic has the whole world in front of him to make his own.