View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hopeworks

I understand completely what you are feeling as I had the same exact calm and was absolutely positive my XA was going to be one of the very few who escape alcoholism and everything was going be to be wonderful some day!

I was wrong and in looking back I think I was irrational and was decieving myself and he had a vested interest in masking things so I would believe in the fantasy. For my story you can pull my old posts... too long to share.

My e,s and h to you is alanon, read, read, read and a great counselor who understands addiction. Take care of you... stay in your own hula hoop (new saying I love) and you will be prepared for WHATEVER the uncertain future brings... and life with an A... abstinent, recovered or drinking is uncertain!

You take care of you... and everything will work out great one way or the other.

At least it was with me... I'm good. He is "in recovery" or so he says. I would be swooning with delight a year ago because he is not drinking and is in another recovery program (this will be number 8).

My A roller coastered for years and years and I rode along blissfully believing everytime was the last time... now I am more realistic. Alcoholics drink. Drinking is not the problem... staying STOPPED is the problem. So... welcome to what may become your life...over and over and over and over again.

Again... no one knows if your A is one of the very, very, very few that make it and beats alcoholism but if move forward in your own recovery so you "see it with a new pair of glasses" and fully understand the dynamics of addiction and codependency you will be fine whatever happens.