View Single Post
Old 10-09-2002, 04:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SylvryMoon
Paused

Hi Close Call,
I travelled a lot for business in previous jobs, and I know what you mean about free alcohol. If it's not free, it's dang cheap, and readily available - everywhere! Airplanes, hotel room mini-bars, hotel lounges. When I'm strong, and in touch with my higher power, no mini-bar in the world can tempt me. Recently, I went to Hong Kong twice - and not only did they have a mini-bar in the hotel room, but also a full fifth of vodka and whiskey sitting on top of the dresser with a note "Compliments of Hotel Staff." (p.s. - I never touched the stuff - after saying a lot of prayers, and remembering the following

No matter if the alcohol is free, or if I have to pay for it, the results are the same - I drink, I can't stop drinking, I get drunk, I black out, I pass out, and wake up way too early the next morning wondering what I did, how much I drank, and what I have to apologize for. It's just a whole lot easier to NOT drink.

I'm sorry that your wife left you - but you will be able to handle the legalitites of that situation a whole lot better without drinking. And I'm sorry you got detained in the airport for being intoxicated, but at your next airport - don't drink, and you won't get detained. It's pretty simple -- but I know it's a very difficult thing to do.

No matter where in the world you are, there is AA. And if you don't want to try AA, there are other organizations that can help. And if you don't want to try any organization at all, you can find that inner strength by remembering what Ninerfan just wrote -
one drink is too many, a thousand isn't enough.

Good luck to you. Let us know how you're doing.