View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Sapling

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Personally, I do think it is a choice. An easy choice? Not always in the beginning. Can it seem impossible? Sometimes, yes. Is it impossible? Absolutely not. As totfit said, people have been quitting in this way since the beginning of time.

I don't look at this in terms of "right" or "wrong". I look at it as "what thinking is helpful for me?". What gives me freedom and peace is quitting for good. Knowing that despair will come in life, tragedy, pain, beauty, joy, indifference...all of it will flow - without me drinking. Drinking is not an option. Ever. This is what allows me to breathe, to move through life more easily. Since this is my chosen paradigm, ODAAT becomes moot. It is my belief that the calmness that may result when thinking about about not drinking one day at time is really just my addiction smiling. Sure it will calm down and leave me alone...the door is slightly ajar, isn't it? With ODAAT thinking, I've placated it. It loves that. Leaving no room for future use may send it pitching a fit for a minute, but with consistency and no reinforcing, it soon wears itself out and resigns itself to the facts. Just as a screaming toddler does.
ODAAT is what I used when I started in AA...I live one day at a time now...I don't not drink ODAAT...The obsession to drink for me has been lifted...I don't fight it...I don't think about it...If I have a thought at all about it...Other than being here...It's gone in seconds...It's not an issue for me any more. I worked the steps and what that book promises was delivered. I think I'll make a thread why I like AA.