Notices

A few questions from newbie

Old 05-16-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A few questions from newbie

Today is day 5 for me. I feel really good. Not sleeping too well, but feel more rested. I am feeling strong like i can do this for good. I really am trying to wrap my mind around what I need to do to not take another drink of alcohol.

I read in many posts "one day at a time". I am telling myself forever this time. Is this an odd thing to do or a wrong way of looking at it? I never want alcohol to control my life again so I don't want to give it an opportunity to do it tomorrow. Or do people say one day at a time because our moods and cravings can swing so wildly we must be ready to fight whatever comes along that day with whatever means necessary. Or is it easier to get back with the program if you screw up a day to day plan but possibly catastrophic if you screw up a lifelong plan.

Also I am trying to figure out a way to let my friends know when we are out to dinner or over to someone's house I no longer drink. Maybe saying "I am on a diet and if I have one drink I end up drinking way too much and eating too much" if they push I can just say "seriously, I can't have any alcohol". I think everyone would respect that and they can infer what they like.

Sorry if I rambled a bit, I just got done with a long and wbusy 12 hour shift.
Thanks for any help,
Old 05-16-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HitRockBottom70 View Post
Or do people say one day at a time because our moods and cravings can swing so wildly we must be ready to fight whatever comes along that day with whatever means necessary. Or is it easier to get back with the program if you screw up a day to day plan but possibly catastrophic if you screw up a lifelong plan.
That's an AA saying...I guess it depends what program you are getting back too.

Also I am trying to figure out a way to let my friends know when we are out to dinner or over to someone's house I no longer drink. Maybe saying "I am on a diet and if I have one drink I end up drinking way too much and eating too much" if they push I can just say "seriously, I can't have any alcohol". I think everyone would respect that and they can infer what they like.
How about..."I'm not drinking...It doesn't agree with me."
Old 05-16-2012, 03:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks sapling, I like the simpler explanation you used.
As far as program, you wonderful people on this site are my program, and I'm still trying to take in as much as possible. I know with your support I can do it.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
So it goes

One day at a time works because at the beginning you feel you have a big hill to climb

If you break it down to "I won't drink today" then it is easier

I used to hate the thought of never having a drink again, doing it that way made the initial struggle conquerable.

I now don't care, because I have eliminated the desire (although I know I must never touch a drink again)

What you tell people depends on how well you know them. Those I can trust, I tell I am alcoholic, and can not drink. They don't offer me.

Others, as Sapling says , tell them, it doesn't agree with you, you are driving, you are on medication, you just don't fancy a drink

Quite the most surprising thing you will encounter is the vast majority of people do not give a hoot if you drink or not, and probably won't even notice that you are not drinking.

Keep it up, you are doing well HRB

Billy
Old 05-16-2012, 03:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's hard to admit what you are for a while. You can be ashamed of yourself because of the stigma of being an alcoholic. At least I felt that way. I am now having to recover after another addiction and am 13 days in and feeling great. I finally fell asleep which was one of my fears any time I thought of quitting. I knew it would be a long time before I fell asleep.

My standard line was "I already drank my allotment. I had to quit so that there would be some left over for everyone else." I never ofund anyone who didn't understand what that meant. I was - and still am - proud of conquering alcohol so eventually had no difficulty letting people know. Many who will push you have a problem of their own and will respect you for what you have done. Other's aren't really your friends anyway.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks sapling, I like the simpler explanation you used.
As far as program, you wonderful people on this site are my program, and I'm still trying to take in as much as possible. I know with your support I can do it.
That's cool...Then I would take whichever one works for you....One of the hardest things for me to deal with early on was never drinking again...It was easier for me to wrap my head around the idea of just not drinking today. 10 months later....I just don't have to drink today.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillyPilgrim View Post
One day at a time works because at the beginning you feel you have a big hill to climb

If you break it down to "I won't drink today" then it is easier

I used to hate the thought of never having a drink again, doing it that way made the initial struggle conquerable.
I agree with Billy on this.

I just tell people I don't drink and it is pretty much true, people really don't seem to care or notice.

Good job, keep it up.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Billy, Thanks, I get it it's like building muscle or endurance, every day you get stronger, every day you climb higher. I like that.

Today is over for me, I'm exhausted from a really hard nights work. I need to get to sleep. I look forward to the other responses when I wake up.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi

I like to think that I can do something for 24 hours that would appal me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a life time -so I have a programme which is for 24 hours -1 day at a time.

5 years later - 1 day at a time

x
Old 05-16-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I found sobriety in the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.

I wish you the best in your recovery program.

Bob R
Old 05-16-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
totfit

I think we often get carried away at our perception of "not drinking" as a major task. The reality is that it requires no action. Action is only required if we desire to drink. We then have to take action to do this.

This may seem an oversimplification and it is, but it is the reality of the "Physics" involved. I think one of the negatives of most recovery programs is that quitting anything is made an even more daunting task than it really is. AA for instance pitches that it is impossible or nearly so without God and/or a Spiritual awakening. The truth of the matter is that people and yes, "real alcoholics" have been quitting since drink was first discovered.

I am not by any means knocking AA or any other recovery program, just wanting to let you know that the reality is that drinking requires less effort than drinking, our perception just makes it seem otherwise. One certainly has to make a lot of changes and programs and AA are good for many. One just has to find the changes they want to make in life and work towards them.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Today, I choose not to drink. "No thank you" also works.

Great decision to stay stopped.

Glad you are here!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do not drink. When that voice in my head tries to convince me otherwise, I repeat "I do not drink" (out loud if necessary). I also fully embrace the fact that my life became unmanageable and I am powerless over alcohol. I visualize my favored wine with the skull and cross bones poison insignia on it. I would no more drink poison than fly to the moon. That works really well for me, as well as the support and fellowship I have here at SR. I also attend AA meetings a couple times a week as my work schedule permits and find that keeps me really accountable and that accountability works really well for me. I am committed to not failing. I am fairly goal oriented so tenacity plays into my daily plans. I do not drink. Not today. Not tomorrow. Congratulations on your success. It only gets better!!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

"One day at a time" worked for me AND so did "I'm never drinking again." --We tend to think in extremes and either/or scenarios. Recovery has taught me to consider "AND BOTH." Some days, ODAAT was all that made sense and "worked." Other times, I felt like I was ODAAT was giving me an out for tomorrow so I'd switch to "I'm never drinking again." Other times, "never" was too much to handle so it was back to ODAAT. There's no "right" way, imo..... Honesty (with what's best now and what's working) is what works.

As for telling friends. At first I just said I'm hangin' it up for a while. When I told them "never again" they'd all seem to try to talk me into "well maybe in a year right?" Those conversations bothered me so, until I got more sure of myself, I went with - "I need to say no for now." Eventually, I told them "never again." And, like I thought, they tried to talk me out of it..... but I was more confident and could handle their objections.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Stoping is the easy part, staying stopped takes work.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Stoping is the easy part, staying stopped takes work.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Today is day 5 for me. I feel really good. Not sleeping too well, but feel more rested. I am feeling strong like i can do this for good. I really am trying to wrap my mind around what I need to do to not take another drink of alcohol.

I read in many posts "one day at a time". I am telling myself forever this time. Is this an odd thing to do or a wrong way of looking at it? I never want alcohol to control my life again so I don't want to give it an opportunity to do it tomorrow. Or do people say one day at a time because our moods and cravings can swing so wildly we must be ready to fight whatever comes along that day with whatever means necessary. Or is it easier to get back with the program if you screw up a day to day plan but possibly catastrophic if you screw up a lifelong plan.

Sorry if I rambled a bit, I just got done with a long and wbusy 12 hour shift.
Thanks for any help,
Just tell them your not drinking anymore, thats what I do. Who cares what people think..
Old 05-16-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

A big part of my sobriety was the huge relief that I never ever had to do the things that addicts do, that I certainly did while drinking. I lied, I was dishonest, I felt guilty, I felt ashamed, I was depressed and anxious, and I didn't like myself very much at all.

When I quit, I quit. I decided that I was done with all that stuff for good, not for a day. I was never going to feel like that again for the simple reason that it was my choice - I made it my choice. This thinking might work for you too.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've been using that "I'm on a diet" line for months now lol! I really am on a diet and so far lost 30 pounds. My friends don't ask me if I want a drink anymore.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
When I quit, I quit. I decided that I was done with all that stuff for good, not for a day. I was never going to feel like that again for the simple reason that it was my choice - I made it my choice. This thinking might work for you too.
I have to figure there are a lot of people that this doesn't work for...I was in a room full of them this morning. I know it didn't work for me and it wasn't for lack of trying. Don't you think if it was simply a matter of making a choice not to drink....None of us would be here?