Old 05-16-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
nolongerknow

Originally Posted by Payton View Post
Are you being treated for your schizophrenia by any professionals? How does that relate to your alcoholism?
Yes, thank you for your concern. As I mentioned briefly I started developing paranoid schizophrenia at 15/16 and have been on medication for this since 16. Only at the end of last year, I had a massive deterioration in my symptoms and was hospitalized briefly and am now seeing 3 professionals, (a psychiatrist, psychiatric nurse - with experience in drug and alcohol treatment, and a GP). My meds for this condition have been changed and more or less work very well.

Though paranoia to some degree is why I drink and find it hard to remain abstinent on a daily basis. I can have very painful thoughts, which can sometimes manifest as voices and have slight delusions of reality. I can tell these symptoms apart from ACTUAL reality and know they are not happening, but can still be very discomforting.

I am curious though as to what extent other alcoholics deal with this emotional pain. Do people have thoughts they just can not seem to shake?, I have a lot of guilt and have hurt a lot of people close to me - i have no friends left (mostly by choice) and am very close to losing the last of my family...

Thank-You