View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SoaringSpirits

I think you have to attend a number of meetings (different locations if you can) and see if it's right for you. When I went to my first Al Anon meeting, I didn't really get it. All these people sitting around talking about how they were working the program when I just wanted to smash my foolish husband over the head. I was really angry.

After a while, I got it. That for my AH's dignity and my own, we each had to figure out our own lives. I have zero control over what he chooses, I can only work on my own life and create a healthy home for our kids. So then I started learning everything I could about alcoholism, so I could better understand how it all worked. And focused on being a happier and healthier person while I let go of his end of things. It's all you can do.

As much help as Al Anon has been, I have to say that SR has been THE most helpful source of support and input. It's a wonderful compliment to face-to-face Al Anon and counseling.

PS, This week at the meeting I picked up an Al Anon brochure titled "How Can I Help My Children?" It was really helpful in outlining how taking care of myself benefits the children. Check it out.