View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
YouWillBe

Is it normal to escalate...?

About two weeks ago we told our daughter that she could not come home this time after release from jail. She was very hurt, of course. She's homeless, jobless, car-less, penniless except for what she can steal or solicit.

What's worrying me is it seems her destructive behavior seems to be worse than ever.

Her drug of choice is heroin, however when she came out of jail - according to her boyfriend - she's also been doing an awful lot of meth to the point of complete loss of control. (On heroin she is practically normal acting. You'd really never know it to just meet her and speak with her.) The other day I happened to see her in town and she was doing the flailing, stumbling, jiggling, pacing, spastic movements walking down the sidewalk. I was stunned, actually, to watch her in that state. (Right or wrong, yes, I stopped and asked if she was alright and got her a cold drink and a sandwich. She was very argumentative and it was a distressing time. Said I loved her very much. She said she loved me very much, too. I left her where she was.)

I fear that our decision pushed her over the edge, even though it had to be done. I'm scared more than ever for not only her well-being health wise, but this has to make her even more vulnerable to predators.

My question is is it normal for them to escalate and go so far down hill so fast when extreme consequences such as being cut off from family and home comforts happen?