View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Miela

Originally Posted by Irishgurl View Post
...Her brother commited suicide 4 years ago and had come to her for help the week before he did it. She has blamed herself ever since and turned to drink.......Im leaving for Australia in 5weeks which i booked in March because i just didnt want to deal with her anymore.

Im now debating on staying and not leaving my dad with all of this....as he's relied on me alot with helping him with her.
(((Irishgurl))), go to Australia. If guilt and blame triggers her drinking, then you staying at home could possibly be used by her alcoholism as just another excuse for her to drink. Of course your mother is responsible for her own choices but you do her no favours putting your life on pause. Today we have text messages, Skype etc. You don't have to be in the same room, let alone the same country, to support your dad. Any rehab worth it's salt will have support for your dad and your siblings anyway. It might be worth checking out Al Anon meetings in the town/city you're going to in Oz?

Hey, who knows, your return home in a year or two could be a big motivation for her (ie wanting you to see how far she's come since you left).

M