View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

Originally Posted by TROLL265 View Post
It was a combination of 'I need to be able to drink as there are events and birthday parties to go to' and 'This is no fun, I'm the boring one'.

I know it sounds like pier pressure, but I will not go to the pub and not drink, it just puts a dampener out there for everyone else. And I see the pub as a place to drink and enjoy yourself.
So I can either stay at home and twiddle my thumbs, or get out there and be sociable.
For what it's worth Troll, I drank about the same as you do...I didn't have the 2 days off though and I am a girl and a couple of years older than you but I have developed some health problems. It does sound like that's what you're worried about..?

I understand how pub culture works and I know that there is pressure to drink but really no one actually cares if you drink or not and it certainly won't ruin their good time. I used to know a quite a few guys who gave up in January or the rugby season or something and no one ever gave them a hard time and a lot of people actually were a bit impressed at their being able to be out and not drink. You don't have to drink to go out. One thing I have noticed in my sober time is the amount of people who start telling me how little they drink when I've said I'm not drinking...I think you'd find that people would be impressed really. Have a good think about how drinking really makes you feel and if it's a problem then consider quitting, at least for a bit.

Welcome to SR x