View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 01:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Adventure

Hi dillson and dilangc

I'm sorry you're going through such a difficult time, but so glad for you that you have found SR. I wish you all the best for starting your road to recovery, and I hope things work out for your dad this time.

I just wanted to second what Beth said about Al Anon. It's natural to be nervous about going to meet a group of strangers who discuss something that is so very personal to you, and that you may have spoken about very little with other people. Please don't let this stop you from going. I am only starting on my road to recovery, but already Al Anon has made a huge difference to me. There is no obligation to share, it is up to the individual the degree to which they participate. Some nights I share, some nights I don't, and it took me a few weeks at the start to feel comfortable saying anything. The impact of being in a room with people who know exactly how you feel regardless of individual circumstances has to be felt to be believed. It doesn't change your alcoholic(s) or teach you how to cure them, but WOW does it teach you how to start healing yourself. Give it a go, give it several goes before you make your mind up. It will make a wonderful difference to your lives, and to anyone else's life who is affected by your dad's illness.

You both sound very strong, and that you are ready to start taking these steps. Let's all help each other in our journeys.

Adventure