View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EnglishGarden

Yez,

If it were just you and him, then I would tell you that if you want to let him back in your house with 2 months' clean from drugs, fully aware of your risks, you are free to take the risk and live the consequences, whatever those might be.

But I will tell you frankly that he is still, and will be for a long time, a danger to your children's safety and welfare. Think this through, this idea of him moving back. Understand that he has no genuine recovery as of yet, that he is at least a year away from that, so he is statistically much more likely to relapse than to stay clean over the next year.

Now, what does that look like in your home? Is he going be alone with your children while you're out for several hours? Will you feel you can go out for dinner with a colleague or friend and know that your children are safe? Would you leave your children in the care of a babysitter who had only 60 days clean off hard core drugs?

I was married to an alcoholic many years ago. He had been sober two months. I did not know anything about alcoholism and when he said to me he'll never drink again, I believed him. I thought he had a choice.

A dear friend of mine was moving to another part of the country. I decided to have a one-night getaway with her before she left. So I left my 7 year old son and my AH at home and went away with my friend.

About THREE HOURS after I left, I called to check in at home. And my AH was drunk out of his mind, my little boy came to the phone crying, and by then I was two hours away from my home. I immediately canceled my visit with my friend, and drove the two hours back home, praying all the way. (In my extreme codependency I did not call anyone to go to the house. This is how sick I was. I was still trying to MANAGE everything myself.)

The rest of the night was chaos.

Yez, he wants to come home because he wants to curl up in that womb. He needs to get clean on his own and when he has minimum one year clean, and is a man again, then he will again be possible husband and father material.

Today he's just a druggie in chaos. Don't trust the outer veneer. Getting clean is extremely stressful for any addict and he is chaos.

You invite him home, you bring it in. And your children live it.

Don't let his puppy dog eyes and self-pity blind you to what he is very capable of: damaging your family to the core.