View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
thesun

Originally Posted by kanamit View Post
Your view and experience is almost identical to mine. I have pondered the Allen Carr argument that there are no benefits to alcohol a lot and have come to this conclusion:

To use the word “benefits” when describing alcohol is a matter of semantics. Carr argues the so-called pleasure is when the drug ends a low caused by the previous dose—like removing a pair of tight shoes. To a certain extent, this is true, especially if you're hungover as the most recent hit delays the detox process.

However, you cannot deny that when go back to drinking after a dry spell, a few drinks will bring about some bodily changes that are very pleasant even though there was previously no trace of alcohol in your body. Carr would argue this is a misconception whereas Trimpey says this is genuine pleasure.

I agree with Trimpey but the question is, does pleasure equal benefits?

I don't know how prolific they are elsewhere, but in the UK short term, high interest loans are ubiquitous. I'm talking over 2,000% APR. I liken alcohol to these. I can't argue alcohol isn't pleasurable any more than I can argue it's not worth having any money. However it is never going to be worth it for me to borrow money on such lousy terms. Likewise, that first hour or so after having a few drinks certainly feels good, but everything that follows shortly after (and lasts longer) certainly isn't. It depends on how you cut it but to me it's pleasurable for a short while but not beneficial.

Great analogy.