View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Change4good

I too, stopped when I was pregnant with my children. For me, it just wasn't an option to drink while pregnant. I didn't suffer withdrawals, and remember finding my pregnancies to be the happiest time of my life. Now I think, being sober had a LOT to do with it. I managed to amazing things professionally and personally when I was pregnant.

But I picked back up. Hard. And this time, I crossed over from being a cucumber to a pickle. I was chemically dependent. That my friend, is absolutely no fun at all.

I won't lie and say I don't find drinking pleasurable. I love good beer and wine. But the crippling anxiety, next day of guilt, remorse, ill health, mental and physical shakiness? That eradicates any ostensible joy I might have found the night before.

I am sitting here at the crack of dawn, enjoying another sober morning in a quiet house before my lovely family wakes up. We are headed to a 5k for a friend battling cancer. I am excited to run as a family. I would not be enjoying any of this if I had given in, and had beers at the neighborhood party yesterday, or wine when we were out to dinner last night with friends.

I offer this just as my experience. As someone who relates to your story. To answer your question about AA, I am not currently attending meetings. BUT, as many will attest to on this board, it is truly life changing, life saving for loads of people. There are several roads to sobriety, and this is a proven one.