View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
soberbythesea

Definitely different for everyone

There are a lot of people on this site who will tell you AA is the only way for them. For me it wasn't... I'm not knocking it at all, just saying there are other paths.

I read everything I could get my hands on about addiction and recovery when I first quit, and I'm still reading. I made lists of all the stupid/embarrassing things I did while drunk... and all the reasons i wanted to stop... and I read those lists over and over.

I put $10 a day away to represent the money I no longer spend drinking. I'm saving it for a big reward soon.

I fill the house with my favorite foods and non-alcoholic drinks... including ice cream, soda, whatever. It's amazing how much I can eat and not gain weight now that alcohol is out of the equation.

I go for walks and listen to books -- I have the AA Big Book as an audiobook on my phone.

I read and watch TV... even if it's trashy reading or trashy TV, it can keep my mind off cravings.

I treat myself to mani/pedis. Another way to make use of money saved.

I go out with my husband and do things that don't involve alcohol, like dinner and a movie.

I wear an amethyst eternity band on my right ring finger... amethyst symbolizes sobriety. It's my reminder to myself not to pick up a drink.

These are just some of the things I do to stay motivated... and maybe they all sound superficial, but they help me keep my desire to stay sober top-of-mind. That's the really important thing. Don't let yourself forget why you're doing this. Make it your first priority.